It is vital that American communities better understand what our troops and their families are facing – and use that knowledge to simply, positively, and productively help those families address the challenges that service to our country has imposed upon them.
Primary Objectives of Volunteer To Serve
- Bring attention to the unique experiences and strengths of America’s service members, veterans, and their families.
- Inspire, educate, and spark action from all sectors of society -- citizens, communities, businesses, nonprofits, faith-based institutions, philanthropic organizations, and government -- to ensure service members, veterans, and their families have the opportunities, resources, and support they have earned.
- Showcase the skills, experience, and dedication of America’s service members, veterans and their families to strengthen our nation’s communities.
- Create greater connections between the American public and the military.
Volunteer To Serve Commitments: Employment, Education, Wellness
Volunteer To Serve is committed to raising awareness about the service, sacrifice, and needs of military families. In particular, with the input of military families, Joining Forces identified three priority areas for national initiatives: employment, education, and wellness.
- Expand employment and career development opportunities for veterans and military spouses.
- Highlight the workforce potential of veterans and military spouses.
- Educate employers about the need to create military family-friendly workplaces.
- Work to reduce or eliminate licensing and credentialing barriers.
- Promote expanded education opportunities that:
- Ease transferability for military-connected students.
- Increase job training opportunities for military spouses and veterans.
- Support the academic achievement of military children by enhancing awareness of the unique needs of military children and families.
- Call attention to the critical issues facing veterans and military families.
- Expand access to wellness programs, and resources for military spouses and families.